Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hello From Cairo (well, slightly outside of it)

Hello from Egypt,

I'm in one of the churches that we are here to serve. We set up this computer lab the last time we were here. The internet is not great but it works and for them I'm sure its incredible. I don't want to go into a ton of detail right now because there are locals who can speak english nearby and I would hate to offend them. Suffice it to say I've never seen poverty this bad. Romania was nightmarish but it cannot hold a candle to where I am now. There are little children rooting through mountainous piles of trash looking for food. A small portion of our team including Colin and Jill walked across most of this city (we're about a half hour outside of Cairo) and we saw animals being killed at meat markets, woman in Burquas (where all you can see is their eyes), people lowering buckets from windows with God only knows what inside of them. The streets are covered in animal feces and trash and the children run around in barefeet. It was about a 30 minute walk to the other church where we are serving and I wept the entire way. As you all know I have a tender spot in my heart for children and I just couldn't get my mind around such beautiful children in the midst of such intense poverty. But the greatest beauty was in the hearts of the people we were speaking to. Even in a Christian church Arabic culture dictates that women be seperated from men and they sit and relate to each other as such. Colin gave his sermon and each of us introduced ourselves and gave a brief testimony. I wasn't nervous at all because the people made me feel so welcome. We opened it up for a q & a afterwards and after they asked the cumpulsory,"What is this and that like in America," we spent 15 minutes discussing why its not ok for Christian men to beat their wives. Evidently that aspect of culture here carries over. It was a little akward and they asked why we didn't. All in all people were very loving and very open and very eager to shake our hands. I learned a new phrase which I was able to use alot with the people as I met them. I'll spell it out for you phoenitically: al-rub-ya-barikek and it means God bless you. I miss and love you all and I can't wait to share more stories with you. Pray for me and my fears, which are slightly grounded in reality, as they are ever at the forefront of my mind. This experience has forced me to rely totally on Christ and in that regard its been wonderful. He is a good and loving God and His will is perfect. I feel that now and I am grateful that I have that truth to embrace. So, please continue to keep me bathed in prayer for safety in courage in sharing the light in a very very very dark place. I can get emails so please let me hear from you.

Josh-- joshua_a bond-servant of Jesus Christ"In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, charity. In all things Jesus Christ." -Chrysostom

2 comments:

Ed Collins said...

Hello Josh,

It seems that God is allowing your heart strings to be tugged on while on this mission. I know emotion has a big part in the passion you have for children. Children are also my week spot. Know that we are praying for you and your safety as well as your families while you are away. It's great to know that God has prepaired their hearts and they are open to what you and the rest of Gods team has brough for them to receive. You are all offering good fruit that has been paid for by our Lord and savior. I love you brother.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I know it is hard to be away from your family. But, you are doing God's will in Eygpt. I really think he has opened your eyes to things that we can only imagen. But, through you I know God is opening ours as well. I love and miss you. I pray for your safe return to us. God bless!!! Les