Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Egypt Trip Update 4 - July 25, 2007

October is rapidly approaching and let me tell you the tension is rising. The biggest source of said tension is the raising of the funds for the trip. It is such a wonderful and terrifying excercise in trusting God. Josalyne and I sent out our letters to almost 100 people a little over a month ago and have had some wonderful responses. People have been so loving in their words and generous with their money and we really cannot adequately express our gratitude. Thing is, we still have a very long way to go. Josalyne has to raise $3,000 and I have to raise $2700 and we're not even half way there. Not as big a deal for me because I don't leave until October but a huge deal for Josalyne because she leaves in 5 weeks. We will be sending out a second batch of letters in the next few days asking for prayers and support. If you are reading this because you received such a letter for us we ask that you please pray very seriously about making a contribution no matter what size. We are both going to be a part of such wonderful ministries in Egypt and Africa and so many people will meet Jesus for the first time through our taking the time to love and minister to them.
In other Egypt news, I am still on course for teaching one night and giving my testimony another. Please pray for me as I prepare my sermon on the topic of community. There is much to say but there are just as many obstacles like the cultural differences for one. If I talk about the pratfalls of community and say that we must make "time" for our friends and family and invest "time" into our relationships with them I've already lost them because their concept of "time" is so drastically different from ours. They don't struggle with the same community issues that we do because they do make the "time" for each other and they don't rush around like we do so there is more "time" to utilize. But I can emphasize the importance of "time" spent in the community of believers and how investing that time in the care of the church will enrich their lives. I think I'll be fine and hopefully they will be blessed and encouraged by my words but my biggest fear is that I will get in the way of the message by being too nervous or insecure. So, please pray. Thank you for reading this blog and staying current on my trip and my life. I will keep you posted.

No comments: